Featured artists: Arturo Martinez Illa, Ernesto Fernandez Nogales, James Sparshatt, Laura Portilla
27-SEP-2007 to 03-NOV-2007
Daily 11am – 6pm
An exhibition of Black and White fine art photographs of Cuba from the 1930s to the modern day.
Capital Culture is pleased to announce that Ernesto Fernandez will be attending the opening night of the exhibition Cubanismo at 3 Bedfordbury gallery. Fernandez is considered one of the four greats of the Epic period of Cuban photography. As part of the Revolucion newspaper’s photographic team he documented the heady days of the Cuban revolution and he has continued to work in Cuba throughout the years since. Working alongside Korda, Salas and Corrales he dramatically captured some of the key moments of the 2oth century.
Cubanismo also features the work of
Arturo Martinez Illa
Rare images of Cuba in the 1930s taken by Arturo Martinez Illa in his photographic studio in the town of Caibarien and of his local community. Printed from recently rediscovered glass negatives.
Laura Portilla shows her most recent work 3 Mil Silencios (3 thousand silences) which graphically documents the jail in which Fidel Castro and his compatriots were held in the early 1950?s before he was sent into exile.
James Sparshatt’s photographs of Cuba capture the passion and vitality of the island and its people. A book of his photographs, Cuba Land of Spirit, was published in 2006.
Photography played a central role in the 20th century development of this enigmatic island. These contrasting images provide an insight into Cuba and its political history. An insight that often evades the hundreds of thousands of visitors that go to the island every year to enjoy the cigars and mojitos while watching a setting Caribbean sun.
- James Sparshatt’s Rhythms of Emotion in the exhibition space at the Norwich Theatre Royal
- James Sparshatt in Louisiana in October
- Henri Matisse – A Master of Print
- Woodcuts from Wonderland: The Story Behind the Prints.
- In Conversation with Pat Southwood
- Photography at Capital Culture Gallery
- Barry Cawston – Banksy’s Dismaland and Others @ The Volklingen Hutte
- Art Fair season continues in New York!
- Affordable Art Fair Battersea Spring 2018
- Image Story – Art Karlsruhe – So far